[Core Proposal, Ballot Closed] Walter Karshat Ballot for Core Keys on February 28, 2018

Edit: The ballots have been created at 9 PM EST on 2/28/2018. They are set to close on 3/3/2018 (Saturday) at 9:30 PM EST.

Edit 2: The ballots have closed effective 9:45 PM EST on 3/3/2018. The ballots closed with 2 Yes Votes, 5 No Votes, and 5 abstentions.

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce my intent to create a ballot for Walter Karshat’s (@wkarshat) core keys on February 28, 2018. I have personally reviewed Walter’s qualifications, and I believe he meets all of the requirements to become a validator on the core network. Once created on February 28, 2018, the ballot will be setup to allow for a revised 72 hour voting period based on validator feedback (please check post history for original timeline).

I would now like to invite Walter to make a statement to the community about why he believes he should be added as a validator on the core network. I would also like to invite the community to post your comments/questions about Walter’s candidacy here.

Core validators, I also invite you to leave any comments/concerns about the duration and/or timing of the ballot here.

Thanks, everyone!
-Rocco Mancini

Awesome! Can we post a link to his notary public information?

• download file with the list of commissioned notaries from the website of the secretary of state http://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/notary-public-listing/
  • unzip active-notary.zip
  • open active-notary.txt in your favorite text editor
  • Search for Walter Karshat
  • Get the result
    Karshat, Walter KINSYS 743 Poppy Rd San Marcos CA 92078 37 2213574 09/10/2021

Rocco, thank you for checking my bona fides and for creating a Vote for me to join Core.

I’ve been a strong proponent of the Oracles project since I first met Igor back in May, have gone through the steps of getting the Notary license by Sept, was one of the initial people on the testnet and have been paying all the Azure and AWS fees out of my own pocket,

A blockchain enthusiast, I also am interested in online identity and in oracles for smart contracts. Looking forward to a wide launch of the PoA initiative, as a step for validation of on-chain information. Have plans to apply PoA technology to a blockchain maintaining Pet care information and secured by licensed Veterinarians.

Professionally, I am a Software Engineer, with a background in high-performance Networking and Linux kernel development, having led successful projects in Telecom and Datacom industries, including a cryptographic ASIC design and several Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices.

An active contributor in the Zcash ecosystem, including Equihash algorithm optimization.
Have been mentoring several pre-ICO and ICO efforts, ranging from blockchain-based gaming to a distributed bug bounty programs. Volunteered in Special Education for over a decade, majority of the time at Board level.

Looking forward to joining the Core Network and helping with business at hand.
Walter

Impressive stuff, Walter! Your Blockchain model using Licensed Veterinarians as Validators is brilliant; this is a perfect POA Clone network use case.

Jim, what’s beautiful about PoA networks secured by geographically diverse professionally licensed individuals, is that the Notary PoA Network could act as an Oracle (in the smart contract sense) for signing-off on the applications for these new PoA networks, that would include attesting to the credentials for both the initial membership applications and for on-boarding future ones.

An applicant would fill out a paper form, referencing and perhaps attaching paper copies of their educational and active license information, sign and get it officially notarized with one of the members of the Notary Network, and as a separate service, the Member Validator would record the reference information on the Notary blockchain, including pointers to the scans of the notarized application and attached documentation.

To make a go of this model, we would create a New PoA Network application form, and formulate templates for a Membership application for the new network. An online mechanism to generate a Membership application suitable to the new field would help. Once a minimum number of individuals (that we set, say at 3) decide to organize such a network, they would jointly file the New Network application with the Notary Network, attaching their individual Membership applications, which have been already notarized and registered on the Notary blockchain.

One can see how such professional PoA networks could have non-profit, community, educational, and commercial uses. The Notary PoA network would get compensated, in tokens, for the time and effort. Individual Validators are compensated as Notaries for the notary component of the individual Application, and separately for the filing on the Notary blockchain. Internally, we can decide how the Network compensation tokens are allocated to the overall network needs, like development or bug bounties, cloud hosting costs, etc. vs. the Validators who took the time to guide the New Network application through its lifetime. Initially, we can simply create a slush fund for the network needs, that Validators could also donate some tokens to, and revisit the topic in three months.

Separately from the overall Notary Network, training, support or IT services can be offered to the new Network or to the Validators, pro-bono or commercially, by any individuals, including some Notary Validators.

You can see that we’d need a method of storing document scans securely and permanently, likely using an existing blockchain-based file storage service, or perhaps cloning one and shaping it to our own needs. Since Notary blockchain recording services will likely extend beyond recording applications for new networks, we need to consider a minimal taxonomy that would lead to non-ambiguous representation of the machine readable portion of the records.

Semantic blockchain, anyone?

Inevitably, a question of token exchanges between ETH, POA, some file storage coin, and the tokens on the new PoA networks will come up. I am interested in participating in the design and implementation of a distributed exchange to support this functionality and have certain qualifications, though not from the Ethereum domain.

TL;DR
Regarding the Intellectual Property rights to these ideas and to their expression, I hereby claim the copyright, and donate and grant to Igor Barinov a perpetual free non-exclusive license, that includes his ability to create derivative works. Igor may do with it what he chooses, but hopefully he will advance the cause of the Notary PoA network and the PoA networks everywhere.
Walter Karshat

Walter,

Thanks for your background which is impressive as well as your ideas and enthusiasm which are even more so.

Also, a shout out to Rocco as I think this a great way to announce intent and open things up before Ballot creation and voting period begins.

Regarding the voting duration, giving the lead time by publishing the Ballot intent, (5) days seems a bit much. I would be comfortable with 72 or 96 hours voting period.

Thanks,
John

Awesome, I love the idea of doing these forks of PoA and I believe that’s the mission of the PoA brand! I’ve opened up a RFC around forking that I would love your opinion and thoughts on if you have the time: https://github.com/poanetwork/RFC/issues/4

Look forward to having you around :slight_smile:

John,I am glad you are looking to expand the current PoA implementation in many interesting ways. In Github terms you are describing a “fork”, except that currently “poanetwork” account has 53 repositories, so it’s not a simple ‘fork a repo’ process. This speaks to the amazing productivity of Igor’s team, but is rather overwhelming to casual individual developers, wanting to kick some tires, like ourselves.

I would rather defer to Igor, and the experience he gained progressing the development effort, on a very compressed timescale, on how to plan and run such side projects, coordinated with the mainline development, but without distracting the development team along the way. Simply making a wholesale copy of the entire system and messing with it is not going to be sustainable, for an effort by a couple of casual developers, beyond a learning exercise producing throwaway code.

There is the RFP repo, but if those are meant to mimic BIPs, then in-depth and ongoing discussions would take place elsewhere. Github has a Projects feature, and I’ve seen the Zcash team attempt to use it for keeping track of more far-reaching ideas, but not terribly successfully.

Meanwhile, we can practice launching more PoA networks and figure out the code changes needed and the operational steps. There is a plan to launch a testnet to exercise network peak loading and scaling, so carefully documenting the configuration steps along the way would be supporting this effort. I want to launch a bunch of nodes directly on Linux servers, perhaps not Ubuntu. Launching a small testnet for the Veterinary PoA Network could be fun, an easy testbed for incremental and cosmetic code changes.

The modifications inspired by Dash would be a major “clone” of Ethereum, changing its basic operation, even outside the PoA aspect. I am much more familiar with cloning Bitcoin and Zcash codebases, and this level of changes would be non-trivial. I can only assume that the Ethereum codebase(s) will not make it any easier.

Looking forward to working with you on progressing these ideas.
Walter