Do not Remove a Payout Key

This is in response to a Sokol vote that just was pushed. As we are creating precedent (we need to take care).

I do not think we should vote to remove an Validator’s Payout Key - under any circumstance.

One needs to understand that after you create a Block, you are rewarded for that effort. However, the reward is not released immediately. Therefore, a validator could be removed from consensus and rewards that were rightly accrued could be lost. I am not completely aware of the mechanism for removal - perhaps the outcome I’ve mentioned is avoided. However, I would err of the side of caution.

Besides, this ‘key’ does not permit either Block creation nor voting - it is effectively powerless. Keeping it has zero effect overall.

When mining key is removed, associated payout and voting keys are also removed (nullified effectively):

Rewards are not lost if ex-validator retains access to his/her mining and payout keys.

Reward is deposited to the mining key by the AuRa engine each block (mined by the validator in question). It’s then periodically transferred to payout key by the payout script placed on the validator node. If the mining key is removed, no new rewards would be deposited, payout script wouldn’t find associated payout key and would stop working. So rewards would be left distributed between payout key and mining key.

Awesome - Thank you for clearing that up exactly.

So would it be correct to say that - to remove a validator, we could get away with only one ballot? (i.e. removal of their mining key)?

I ask as personally, I like to be terse with computers. Preferring 1 action over 3 three actions. (although I can be wordy and maybe full of hot air when I write otherwise - probably due to the nature of my profession)…

This is correct.

I ask as personally, I like to be terse with computers. Preferring 1 action over 3 three actions. (although I can be wordy and maybe full of hot air when I write otherwise - probably due to the nature of my profession)…

Sure thing, And also, to simplify addition of a new validator we have implemented one ballot for all keys. It will be deployed to the network after successful security audit.