Hybrid Blockchain Model

I’d like to hear your ideas and thoughts on hybrid blockchain model. Since we are now focusing on blockchain bridges, let’s have a discussion on this topic.

Blockchain will transform EVERY industry. I can’t think of a single industry that cannot benefit from blockchain technology. A research analyst at the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) sees cryptocurrency, blockchain technology and decentralization as a potential $10 trillion ecosystem.

There are a lot of use cases where data confidentiality could be one of the most important factors (Government, FinTech, Healthcare, etc.). Also, for regulated industries there is a KYC (know your customer) standards that should be considered as well. Blockchain for enterprise, for example will benefit from cross chain bridges and will allow to companies to implement “Hybrid Blockchain Model”.

Companies would implement several networks:

Public blockchain where everybody who joined the network have equal rights to view or modify transactions. All transactions are visible, however identities of transacting parties are unknown.
Internal Clone networks for every department/groups/project or every region (BitClave has a good example for region specific networks)

RBAC (Role-based access control). This alone could be huge benefit for enterprise blockchains, where members could have different rights to view and modify data, and others would have rights to perform transactions.

Clone networks would have their own set validators for specific needs.
Additionally there could be a middle layer network (heart of Hybrid Model), that could be governing transactions between public and private blockchains.

POA core network
POA Clone Company_1_Public
POA Clone Company_1_Internal_US
POA Clone Company_1_Internal_Europe
POA Clone Partners_and_customers_of_Company_1
POA Clone Government_Agency_Company_1_interactions

For several years I’ve been closely working with large enterprise customers and government agencies on virtualization and automation on upgrading their environments. It will take 5-7 years for them to adopt blockchains… Maybe more… We have a great change to speed it up and help them.

Kevin Joy - NJ Notary Public, MBA & Blockchain Enthusiast

I believe @Melanie has a good experience in this area? Would be great to hear your throught

Awesome. Could you perhaps tease this out a bit more though, I’m not fully understanding. Are you suggesting something akin to Hyperledger and the various Projects that fall under this umbrella? With tunable modules or spinning up a clone network that they then run (like Ripple / Stellar, etc.)?

I think the value add of POA Network are with the validators being independent. You get the benefits of DLT between org’s, and still being based on publicly accessible tools (so you get the ability to use open source tools/contracts easily.):

Ripple-like Blockchains are mostly run within an organization and so suffer from perceived neutrality and thereby limit portability between different organizations - unless one is using a federated or consortium based approach, but then you still have the costs that you’re trying to min (like Swift). Also, I’m seeing a lot of these consortiums falling apart this year.

With Hyperledger, you don’t get open source developers and their tools easily - because it is so… well, work with and you’ll see. Sure there are a ton of tools under this umbrella - and one should (theoretically) be able to find and fit for your particular application.

@jflowers I just realized that I haven’t replied to your question. Let me think about it and come back.

Also would be great to hear others on this topic.

Hi Marat. I think you have an excellent model that can be simplified by trusting the community to help grow its reach. You may be able to leave one category (above) off the diagram and broaden the scope of another, letting the POA Clone networks grow organically with a smaller model set :

POA Clone Company_1_Internal_US          POA Clone Company_1_Internal_Europe
                              |          |
                         POA Clone Company_1_Public
                                    |
POA Clone Company_2_Public -- POA Core network -- POA Clone Government_Agency
                                    |                                                                            
                         POA Clone Company_3_Public
                              |          |
POA Clone Company_3_Internal_US          POA Clone Company_3_Internal_Europe

Each of the POA Clone Companies can reach each other via the POA Core network crosschain bridge. If traffic demand between any networks merits, direct crosschain bridges can be introduced, exponentially increasing liquidity while reducing transaction times and expense. This is a particularly important discussion with POA Network’s launch of the first production cross-chain bridge in blockchain history on May 10th, 2018!

Very interested conversation. Thanks again for bringing this up for discussion, Marat!