Oracles Network. News and updates #15

General news:

• Oracles Network whitepaper is published. I appreciate your feedback on it. You can post it here or in the R&D section
    Link to the paper: https://hackmd.io/s/HkV8Vw7_-
  • ICO season is coming. Cyber.Studio joined us to prepare us and our network for the crowdsale. Please, do not afraid five more Russian names, we are all in the US :grin:

Welcome to our party @oxanakunets @Lena @creator @KatyaK and Yan, who will be here soon.

• FAQ section will be added this weekend and we would like to get your input on it
  • A poll. If we need to rename the network for a legal reason which name would you like
  • Keep “Oracles Network”
  • POA Network
  • Parachain

0 voters

Explanations: Parachain is a chain in Polkadot Interledger, POA is Proof of Authority

Testnet

Reinstall your nodes

We had a failure on a boot node of the testnet last week. Pavel @phahulin fixed “end of space” problem and implemented the rotation of logs. After the incident, all nodes are not seen in blockchain netstats http://testnet.oracles.org:3000
Validators need to restart their node. Most validators use the version of VM without the auto start. You need to upgrade your version of VM. For that, you’ll need to delete your mining node and install the new one. @rstorm and @jflowers did it already and you can see their nodes here http://testnet.oracles.org:3000.

Dear @wkarshat @henryvishnevsky @elillian @johndangerstorey @777zba @Sasha2000, please reinstall your node. Use SSH and mining keys you created during the initial ceremony.

@jflowers prepared a video instruction. Please ask questions here. Thank you, Jeff :grinning:

New validators

With distributed keys:
@sduyar, @Gerry and @samwise9 we are waiting for your mining nodes on the testnet. Please let me know if you have any problems.

For test of self-governance:
@phahulin please describe to a new validator @jlegassic how to generate his keys and create a new proposal to add him to the list of validators

Whoa, a lot of activity and great energy all around. Looking awesome!

Read over whitepaper, here are some suggestions:

1. not very clear statement

During the first year of the network, validators will create 31,536,000 sec/5 sec per block = 6,307,200 blocks.

1. Inexpensive Network
    Oracles Network provides inexpensive consensus to secure the network. Users can run Ethereum programs on Oracles Network and spend less money on transaction fees. Overall cost of the network’s security will also be cheaper due to lower market cap.

I think it would be better to show that the current ethereum mean gas price is 21 gwei * max gasLimit 6700000, eth/usd ~ $300.
and what would be the initial cost/limitations for oracles network and approximate initial price for OraclesEth. What will be initial gasPrice/gasLimit settings in parity validator nodes?

1. Change this:

For securing the network, they received a total of 22,516,743.6. Using the 9/7/2017 price of $303.86, security of the network costs 22516743.6*303.86 = 6,841,937,710.296.

To this:

For securing the network, they received a total of 22,516,743.6 ETH. Using the 9/7/2017 price of $303.86, security of the network costs 22516743.6 ETH *$303.86 = $6,841,937,710.296.

Jeff, thanks for making a video. Wanted to double check that we use the template from the AlphaTestTestNet branch.
After two attempts, seemingly with the right set of keys, the node is not showing up on http://testnet.oracles.org:3000/

ps shows two tasks running, should there be more, are there logs I can check?
wkarshat 12440 0.2 2.0 919364 35216 ? Ssl 07:34 0:01 PM2 v2.7.1: God Daemon (/home/wkarshat/.pm2)
wkarshat 12450 1.4 2.1 922044 37492 ? Ssl 07:34 0:06 node /home/wkarshat/eth-net-intelligence-api/app.js

Hi Walter, Actually - I learned afterwards that the page had been changed a bit and MASTER branch works as well. For me, after the VM finally started (after ~10 min) I was able to see on the status page.

Perhaps go to your VM: On the Dashboard’s Lefthand side select “Virtual Machines”. Then the VM that is running your node’s software. This will bring up its dashboard/metrics and see if there is any network activity.

I had to reinstalling a number of times, I’d forget something. So it’s fine to reinstall.

Afterwards though, go to the Dashboard -> “Resource groups” and delete the resources of the now unused VM’s.

Hi @jlegassic
to join the network via self-governance you need to

1. obtain 3 valid ethereum addresses and corresponding keystore files, one for each key type: mining key, payout key and voting key.
    You can use https://www.myetherwallet.com/ to generate them or any other service if you already have your favourite. Please be sure to save all keystore files and remember their respective passowords.

2. request a small initial amount of oracles eth to be sent to your voting key address so that you’ll be able to participate in future ballots: https://oraclesfaucet.herokuapp.com/

3. ask any current member of the network to create a ballot for each one of your keys (3 ballots in total), they need to use this webpage https://oraclesorg.github.io/oracles-dapps-voting/

After your keys are approved by the members of the network, you need to create a virtual machine to join and start mining. Please install MetaMask plugin for Google Chrome first and then refer to this guide to create the virtual machine.

@jlegassic
John, I’ll add the proposal after you’ll complete Step 1.Please let me know when you’ll be ready.

@wkarshat
yes, parity process should be running.
Parity logs are stored in ~/logs/parity.*
Also, sudo journalctl -u oracles-parity might give some hints in case an error occured while systemd was trying to start parity.
Could you tell my your node’s ip, I’ll also try to find anything useful in logentries.

@wkarshat et al. FYI we use centralized log management Logentries to debug problems from every mining node for the testnet. On production we will not use it.

You can make logging an opt-in feature.

My node, having been reinstalled after several attempts, has gone off the testnet at least once.
Various logs available via anonymous FTP, from 52.232.188.76.

What network do I create my (3) valid ethereum addresses on? Sorry, but not obvious to me.

Thanks,
John

Keys are the same for any network. Just create keys

OK, I created 3 accounts for

1. mining
  2. voting
  3. payout

what do you need now – my encrypted private keys for each address?

please advise.

john

no! don’t send us your keys :slight_smile:

Now you need:

Send your public keys to,e.g. @rstorm and he’ll create a proposal

“Keys are the same for any network. Just create keys”

This doesn’t make sense to me. Don’t I need to create an account on the Oracles Test Net so that I can use the faucet to seed some OETH ( or whatever ) in Step 2, to an address within your Oracles Test Net?

your keys are the same to any ethereum based network. but your state and balances are not.

Huh? The private/public key pairs are just key pairs … cryptographic exercise.

I thought that one needs to create an account on a specific network, Kovan, Ropsten etc …, so that the public key is registered in that functional address space … at that point one can send/receive ether in that network.

Yes, but also they are accounts. You can have the same account on different networks. You don’t need to create accounts.

the public key which is analogous to an account or address can be created outside of any network, how does that address become part of a network to one can send/receive ETH ( what API that does that )?

For example, in Step 2, I put my voting address to receive 0.5 ETH, i.e. what happens then? If I didn’t some how register that address previously with the network then address is not part of the network yet ( network can’t be aware of it ). If the faucet successful then the network will just become aware of that address and send 0.5 ETH to it?