Forum

Parity Node Setup - Clearer Instructions

With the recent passing of the vote to lower the node requirements to 2,000 STAKE I am trying to setup a node. I’m a devops engineer, I use linux and docker, so this should be pretty easy. Unfortunately after going over the article (especially OpenEthereum / Parity Node Setup - xDai STAKE) I am left with quite a few questions:

1. How do I create a keystore JSON file (I have been unable to find out how to do this on the web. I could offline MEW and create one that way [Using MEW Offline (Cold Storage) | MyEtherWallet Knowledge Base], but that looks a bit long winded)
  2. Does the keystore file have to be for my ETH address that has the 2,000 STAKE in
  3. Does the keystore file have to be for my ETH address on the mainnet or on the xDAI chain
  4. In the .env there is an ADDRESS variable, again, what is this for? Proof of funds? Reward address? Mainnet? xDAI chain?
    It seems the part of the tutorial labelled “Save Mining Address JSON Keystore file and Password” requires additional information for those that are new to creating nodes (of whom a lot will be).

Hi,

just a quick note, vote has passed but the 2000 STAKE for the Validators was not yet implemeted, target date is Q1 2021. Regarding the rest, I am not the right person to answer but I am sure someone will help you.

Thanks for the feedback, we will clarify in the docs. For generating a keystore file, you can use MEW or the mycrypto desktop app.

With MEW, you can use their chrome extension. This is probably the easiest way. What is a Keystore/JSON file? Can I Change my Password? | MyEtherWallet Knowledge Base

MyCrypto directions: https://support.mycrypto.com/

1 Like

Thanks Andrew,
Looking forward to reading the updated docs

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Yes, your STAKE should be in a separate account for staking.

To answer a couple of other questions:

The instruction you reference only uses the mining address for setting up a node.

The keystore file is needed for the node’s mining address. So this address will not contain the STAKE you will use as a validator. (it is still 20k for now until the transition is completed). EOAs (Externally Owned Addresses) are identical on Ethereum and xDai.

In ENV I think you are speaking about ACCOUNT variable? This is the public mining address (40 characters including the leading 0x)

1 Like

Brilliant! Thanks Andrew, that makes things a lot clearer. If I get time would it be OK to make a fork of GitHub - xdaichain/site: Website and documentation of xDai, update the documentation with some of the answers you have provided and put in a pull request?

(actually I seen you have updated them already lol)

The last remaining question I had “How does blockscout/metamask know about my node?” was clarified on point 7 on the page-> become-a-candidate-validator

Hey @AndrewG any chance you could unflag the question, as by being flagged (and invisible) it rather makes the post irrelevant. Thanks

You could remove the irrelevant posts and solve this yourself :slight_smile:

Why would I remove the question?