Running POA bootnode

Do we have instructions on how to run a POA bootnode?

or you are talking about Core?

Yep, got the key for validator node on Sokol. Was wondering if the switch to AWS was mandatory or we could still host on Azure. I’d like to keep the option of promoting POA on Azure as a variant of BaaS.

I noticed that non-validators were helping with bootnodes, which I understand to be network recovery nodes, and I wanted to help improve our fault tolerance by running one as well in Azure.

Hi @Micwebnet,
here is the instruction for validators to run not on AWS, e.g. on Azure. Please try it out with Sokol.

Perfect, will do. We had power outages from bad weather yesterday, but hopefully tomorrow I’ll get the chance to try this.

Happy New Year everyone! I was able to deploy a bootnode on Azure using WLS Bash in Windows 10 as my local machine. I went for a B2s VM, which is 2 VCPUs, 4GiB of RAM, 8GiB SSD. It costs $0.059/hr (~$43/month). I’ll be monitoring its usage patterns to see if I could scale down further to an even more economical B1S (1 VCPU, 1GiB RAM, 2GiB SSD) that goes for $0.016/hr (~$12/month).

Had to replace allow_bootnode_rpc: false from true. Wasn’t sure why it wasn’t the default (other settings had proper defaults).

Saw a few warnings in the ansible deployment script:

Confirmed that the bootnode is running on Sokol via https://sokol-netstat.poa.network/. How do we distinguish between bootnodes and validator nodes in netstats?

Thanks, MM

Those warnings are just for the type of nodes you did not deploy from the hosts file, I think. You will notice that bootnode part did not have a warning. The other one is also nothing to worry about. Also, I believe only validators were required to use thier name as the Node name, but I am sure it doesn’t matter, Congrats!

It’s just that if I run both validator and boot node, we’ll want to distinguish between them :slight_smile:

P.S. We are now multi-cloud - if all of AWS goes down, we’ll still be up and running :wink:

@Micwebnet congratulations with your node.

@phahulin FYI the instruction worked on Azure

I noticed that bootnode doesn’t take much to run

With this small of a footprint it alone should run fine on a B1s VM instance with just 1 VCPU, 1 GiB of RAM, and 4GB of SSD space. Unless of course when it’s called upon its usage profile is significant. How can we test a bootnode?

Also, would it make sense to run bootnode and validator services on the same VM? Has this been tested?

-MM

Might want to update the post with new docs

Page not found, where can I find the instructions?

我想购买一个eth的poa 还可以购买吗 我想购买一个eth的poa 还可以购买吗

Hi . Is there any min requirement to setup bootnode ?

If you want sponsorship of your node and would like to be included in the list of bootnodes then yes, there are some requirements.

• commitment to run a boot node for 6 months to 12 months
  • proof of your identity

I am very much interested to setup a bootnode, appreciate if you can guide me thru the process
What would be the ROI/advantages for me investing on bootnode ?

Bootnodes help ensure stability, and hence, value of the POA network.

I’ve just deployed my bootnode in Azure EastUS on a B1S VM. Here is what the resource usage looked liked on a B2s VM I had running for the past week:

Best, MM

Nice, is it for Core?