Using Rust HoneybadgerBFT

Will the Rust implementation you guys are building for HoneybadgerBFT consensus be useable in a POS network, or is it being designed to only support a POA network.

If it only supports POA, do you think it would be simple to change some pieces for it to run POS, or would it make more sense to write a POS supported implementation of HoneyBadgerBFT

Hi,

You can use POA/POS and even POW with HBBFT. Although, you will need to modify client, e.g. Parity client to support POS model.
Please let us know more about your POS ideas.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, this makes more sense to me now after reading that twitter post.

I am trying to figure out if what consensus algorithms out there would be best suited for our project.

Would it be okay to say that the hbbft https://github.com/poanetwork/hbbft you guys are working on, because it is just a consensus algorithm, can be easily used on any blockchain, kind of like Tendermint claims to be? Or is this hbbft implementation only usable on an EVM blockchain?

I do understand now that it technical can be the underlying consensus algorithm of any blockchain, but I am just wondering if it is being written with only the EVM in mind, or if it should be able to support any blockchain state machine.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, this makes more sense to me now after reading that twitter post.

You are welcome.

Would it be okay to say that the hbbft https://github.com/poanetwork/hbbft you guys are working on, because it is just a consensus algorithm, can be easily used on any blockchain, kind of like Tendermint claims to be? Or is this hbbft implementation only usable on an EVM blockchain?

it is correct. the hbbft is a consensus algorithm. In POA Network the sybil control mechanism is on chain governance by KYC-ed validators

I do understand now that it technical can be the underlying consensus algorithm of any blockchain, but I am just wondering if it is being written with only the EVM in mind, or if it should be able to support any blockchain state machine.

not only EVM. But for us, the main use case is EVM sidechains.

Nice, thank you for the response!