Validators' day-to-day decisions question

It’s been 3 months since the mainnet is up and running. I would be curious to know what are the decisions that validators are typically making in the process. Definitely appreciated the video by @jflowers, @rstorm, @jlegassic, @1proof, and @hashguide, where they describe the ballot process. What are some of the issues, aside from adding new validators, do current validators discuss? Especially, it would be good to know specific examples of issues around the network security and evolution.

Hello Oxana, as individual Validators, I am sure we all have different methods of monitoring and maintaining our nodes, with priority placed on network security and integrity. Some of these tasks include:

1. monitoring individual Validator nodes, make sure they are properly validating and in sync
  2. monitoring all other Validator and bootnodes (on both Sokol Test network and POA Core)
  3. Rectify any issues on manged nodes, notify responsible Validator to help support network
  4. Receive updates from POA DevTeam on any software upgrades, maintenance, required
  5. Participate with DevTeam through GitHub and channels to provide input and feedback
  6. Regularly (at least daily, often more) check, participate in governance on POA Core and Sokol
  7. Participate in POA Gitter channel
  8. Participate in POA Community Telegram Channel
  9. Participate here (POA Forum) to answer community and potential new Validator questions :slight_smile:

Some of the more technical Validators also participate in regular testing in the Open Source Github code, work with dApp developers interesting in deploying on POA Core and Sokol Test networks, provide regular community support, etc. Others support and promote POA Network via blockchain presentations, meet-ups, and forums - this is very important to help the community learn more about the advantages of the POA Network, and invaluable; the reach of many of these forums is huge.

I hope you find these answers useful. Thanks for the interesting question Oxana! One final note is we help encourage qualified Validators to participate, and help new Validators with tech questions as needed. Thanks for participating and I encourage your involvement with POA Network.

Jim

@1proof thank you! Seems like there is quite a bit of human touch involved when it comes to the decisions about evolution of the network. Some networks that try to implement on-chain governance present it (though still in theory) as automatic upgrade: if a change offered by validators is voted “for” by the majority, it gets implemented. At POA, it looks more like a cooperation between validators and the DevTeam, correct?

As a current validator, I definitely think that’s the case. We try to be collaborative and discuss ahead of time any decisions that is coming on-chain so people have time to perform their own due diligence and contribute as well.

To answer your question, I think one example of a development improvement I noted was how we handled notifications. When ballots were initially created, validators often have to give everyone a heads up in the Telegram channel to go vote. However, given the traffic, this could be missed during more active discussion days, We noted that it would be more efficient if an automatic notification would come to our emails when a ballot is created. @jlegassic created this script and has now been implemented as an improvement to our notification system. It’s the same with any issues or improvement we hope to see, we will also submit to github to notify the dev team. Hence, I do think it is a collaboration among validators but also among any stakeholders in the network.

Hope that helps!

Good to know! Yea, staying on top of all the updates to meaningfully participate in decision-making can be daunting without proper notification tools.