POA Network + MyEtherWallet (MEW)
MyEtherWallet (MEW) is a browser based interface used for creating secure local wallets and interacting with tokens and contracts on the Ethereum network. It includes built-in support for POA and POA20 tokens!
MEW also provides an intuitive interface to connect to other secure wallets including:
- MetaMask/Nifty Wallet
- Ledger Nano
Additional MEW resources:
The instructions below cover interactions with the Main POA Network. POA Sokol testnet instructions are at the end of this document.
Connecting to the POA Network
Go to https://www.myetherwallet.com/. Make sure you are using https. MEW recommends several other measures to verify you are on the correct site:
a. Always check the URL: https://www.myetherwallet.com .
b. Always make sure the URL bar has MyEtherWallet Inc [US] in green.
c. Use MetaMask/Nifty Wallet to block malicious websites.
In the top right you will see 3 drop down menus. Click on the Network menu dropdown and select POA (core.poa.network) from the dropdown list. If successful, you will see a blue success message at the bottom of the screen. You are now interacting with the POA network.
Note: If you do not see POA in the dropdown menu, clear your cache and cookies and try again.
Using MEW to Connect to your MetaMask/Nifty Wallet
- Go to https://www.myetherwallet.com/. Check you are connected to the POA Network (core.poa.network) following the Connecting to the POA Network instructions above.
- Select Send Ether & Tokens from the Navigation Menu.
- Select the MetaMask/Mist option. Information will appear about MetaMask.
Click the Connect to MetaMask button.
Note: if you are not logged into MetaMask/Nifty Wallet, you will receive an error message. Login by clicking the MetaMask App Icon and entering your password.
You can now interact with the wallet account you have selected in MetaMask/Nifty Wallet. You should see your Account Address, Account Balance, and a link to view your transaction history.
Note: To view different accounts in MetaMask/Nifty Wallet, switch accounts through the MetaMask/Nifty Wallet application, refresh your browser, and repeat steps 2-4.
Creating a standalone POA Wallet on MEW
Note: This is not recommended as entering a keystore or private key online can result in a compromised account. Proceed with caution.
- Go to https://www.myetherwallet.com/ . Check you are connected to the POA Network (core.poa.network) following the Connecting to the POA Network instructions above.
- On the homepage, enter a strong but easy to remember password and click the Create New Wallet button.
- Click the Download Keystore File (UTC/JSON) button. Save to a secure location such as an external USB drive.
- Read the warning and click the I understand. Continue. button.
Save your private key. You can copy the key manually or click Print Paper Wallet to print out a QR code.
Click the Save Your Address. button
Next, access your wallet next using the Keystore / UTC file or the private key you just created.
Note: You will see a warning that this method is not a recommended way to access your wallet. It is ok to proceed, or if you would prefer a more secure method see Using MEW to Connect to your MetaMask/Nifty Wallet .
- If successful, you will see a success message and your public address.
- Save your address to a text document & bookmark it on https://poaexplorer.com/ to view balance and transaction history.
Checking POA Balances
If you only want to check a balance, the recommendation is to use https://poaexplorer.com (for POA tokens) or https://ethplorer.io/ for POA20 tokens. Simply paste in your public address and the explorer will show you the balance and transaction history.
If you would prefer to check your wallet on MEW:
- Go to https://www.myetherwallet.com/
- Select View Wallet Info from the Navigation Menu.
- Unlock your MEW wallet using the Keystore / UTC file or private key option.
- View account address, balance and history.
If you can’t see your balance, try these troubleshooting tips.
Sending POA Tokens
Click on Send Ether & Tokens in the top navigation menu.
Select an option to access your wallet (see steps above for connecting through MetaMask/Nifty Wallet or using a Keystore / JSON file / private key).
Enter in the recipient’s address and the amount to send. The default gas limit of 21000 works fine for POA transactions.
Click Generate Transaction . You will see JSON files for the Raw Transaction and Signed Transaction.
- Click Send Transaction .
- You will see an additional confirmation pop-up with details. To send, click Yes, I am sure. Make Transaction. To cancel click No, get me out of here!
- If successful, you will see a green status bar. It will include a TX Hash to save for confirmation purposes. Click on Verify Transaction to verify in https://blockscout.com.
POA20 tokens are sent and received through the main Ethereum Network. To view and interact with POA20, you will need to add it as a custom token to MEW.
Viewing POA20 Tokens
Connect to the ETH network in the Network Dropdown. There are several connection options, choose any one you wish.
Click on Send Ether and Tokens in the top navigation. Select an option to access your wallet (see steps above for connecting through MetaMask or using a Keystore / JSON file / private key).
The Token Balances widget is located below your address and balance information. Click Add Custom Token .
- Additional fields will appear. Input the following and click Save.
- Token Contract Address: 0x6758b7d441a9739b98552b373703d8d3d14f9e62
- Token Symbol:
- If you have any POA20 tokens, You should see your token balance in the widget.
Sending POA20 Tokens
POA20 tokens are sent to an Ethereum address (starting with 0x….) over the main Ethereum network.
Important: You MUST have enough Ether in your wallet to pay for the gas costs to transfer POA20. If you do not have enough ETH to cover the transaction costs it will be rejected.
Follow Steps 1-3 above in Viewing POA20 Tokens.
Enter the recipient’s address.
Enter the Amount to Send, and change the token type in the dropdown to POA20 . If POA20 is not an option in the dropdown menu, try Viewing POA20 Tokens.
Gas limit can stay the same. Follow steps 5-8 in Sending POA tokens to complete the transaction.
Receiving POA20 Tokens
You can receive any ERC20 token, including POA20 tokens, at your Ethereum wallet address. Once you receive, you can view your balance in MEW in the token widget.
Connecting to the POA Sokol Test Network
The POA test network can be used to test different POA Network functionality before moving to the main network. Interaction with the testnet is the same as other network interactions. To receive a testnet token, visit the Sokol POA network faucet.
Connecting to the testnet:
Click on the Network dropdown menu in the top right and scroll down to the bottom. Select Add Custom Network / Node .!
- Setup your Custom Node:
a. Node Name: POA Sokol Testnet.
b. URL: https://sokol.poa.network .
c. Custom Option.
Note: You do not need to fill in Port info or select the Supports EIP-155 option.
d. Click Save & Use Custom Node.
- The POA Sokol Testnet:cus should now be selected in the Network menu and available for use.
Note: When performing transactions on the Testnet, be aware that tokens are called CUSTOM ETH.