Forum

xDai appears to be a useless platform

I was originally attracted to xDai’s promise of $.00002 gas fees, and 5 second transaction confirmations.

After spending 3 weeks to create a dApp using xDai, I learned why no one will ever use it:
To convert ETH to xDai, it costs $75 to convert ETH to Dai, plus $75 to convert Dai to xDai.
To convert xDai to ETH, it costs $75 to convert xDai to Dai, plus $75 to convert Dai to ETH.

To play with $100 of xDai costs $300 in transaction fees. No one will ever do that!

Several months ago, I posted a question on this forum requesting other methods to acquire xDai, The only response I received was a list of exchanges that either did not work in the U.S., or did not work at all with xDai.

The other problem with xDai is a complete lack of support and marketing.

Several weeks ago, I sent a message through the online chat interface at Contact us - xDai STAKE. That chat interface always says “We’ll be back online tomorrow.” I included my email address with my message, and received no response.

I also sent emails to several people listed at xDai Dev Team - xDai STAKE. Again, no response whatsoever.

For xDai to have any usefulness, a marketing team will have to do whatever is necessary for Coinbase or Kraken to add it to their exchange.

They should also remove the online chat from their support page, since it causes distrust for their team when there is no response to messages sent to it, and it always says.“We’ll be back online tomorrow.”

The only response I received was a list of exchanges that either did not work in the U.S., or did not work at all with xDai.

I wrote you about AscendEX (BitMax), bridge from BSC and two fiat on-ramps and one off-ramp so I am not sure what are you referring to with “exchanges that don’t work at all with xDai”

To convert ETH to xDai, it costs $75 to convert ETH to Dai, plus $75 to convert Dai to xDai.
To convert xDai to ETH, it costs $75 to convert xDai to Dai, plus $75 to convert Dai to ETH.

To convert Dai to xDai using xDai bridge it costs $2.28 Ethereum Transaction Hash (Txhash) Details | Etherscan
I will not mention AscendEX with free xDai withdrawals and route from BSC (fees together $1) as we have discussed this before.

I also sent emails to several people listed at [xDai Dev Team - xDai STAKE] Again, no response whatsoever.

All xDai devs are very active in the dev focused Discord: https://discord.gg/mPJ9zkq you can write to any #Work channel and you will surely get a response.

1 Like

AscendEX and BitMax do not accept U.S. customers There is no exchange in the U.S, that accepts xDai, so you have to use the xDai bridge.

Please show a transaction which indicates the cost to transfer from xDai to Dai. The bridge currently indicates the 2nd transaction fee is $10.86 (at 50 gwei gas). Last week, when gas was 8x higher (400 gwei), it cost $86.88.

Please also show the Uniswap cost to transfer between ETH and Dai (and vice versa).

I posted a question on the xDai Discord several weeks ago, with no response, and they deleted my question.That discord appears to be a marketing tool for a handful of users.

You can get 0.1 xDai for free in the US by passing a captcha and phone verification test
https://blockscout.com/poa/xdai/faucet

You can always make friends and do over the counter deals to purchase on markets not available for the US customers. I am not a lawyer but it is legal.

You can make an in-app purchase in the Orchid app, but xDai for dollars, export keys from the app, import in Metamask, send to another address. It costs less than a dollar.

1 Like

Your solutions are useless.

1. $0.10 is useless, and requires that you give out your phone number.
  2. Yes, you can sell your xDai on PayPal, and then lose your USD when you get a PayPal chargeback a week later.
  3. Orchid has no desktop app, and requires that you buy VPN credits. I don’t want to use their VPN.

Surprised you didn’t suggest that you meet someone in a dark alley and exchange cash for xDai.

1. $0.10 is useless, and requires that you give out your phone number.

one can request it multiple time. to not disclose youea can use your friend’s number

1. Orchid has no desktop app, and requires that you buy VPN credits. I don’t want to use their VPN.

you don’t have a smartphone?

Surprised you didn’t suggest that you meet someone in a dark alley and exchange cash for xDai.

sure. OTC is one more option. Send me your Dai on Ethereum and I send you xDai on xDai.

Sorry, I don’t trust a platform that has a “Contact Us” page that always says “We’ll be back tomorrow”, and then it doesn’t reply to a message.

This is completely your decision. I just want to add once again that xDai Discord is very active and you are free to ask there any xDai related questions you have. You wrote that your question was deleted, this must have been by mistake if it was a question related to xDai, sorry for that. Feel free to post again and I assure you it won’t happen again.

Sent you 10 xDai via a Linkdrop (DMed)
Please explore xDai further

1 Like

I really do hope it won’t sound negative, which is definitely not my intention, but I think there is a valid point on the access to inward liquidity to being able to participate on a sidechain. If you are not like the Binance Smart Chain that has an easy entry point to get BNB and then gas, it is probably key to find a way to let ordinary people get chips to start playing with a platform. We’ve been developping interfaces to let people easily interact with side chains, and I see a difficulty there to have people interested by xDai. To give a bit of personal view, beside BSC, I see a lot of momentum on the Fuse sidechain because they have the GoodDollar UBI initiative that really brings a lot of people on board.

I don’t know what could be a mechanism for xDai to really ease the access process, but I would love to spend more time promoting our tools for your chain.

Users can get free 0.1 xDai (once per day!) from the faucet: https://blockscout.com/poa/xdai/faucet and start exploring the projects running on xDai literally for free since the 0.1 xDai is enough for hundreds of transaction.

Thanks for the tip.

Still:

1. I didn’t know about the scheme, so it is sort of indicating something
  2. I’ve just tried and this failed with an error (probably my mistake)
  3. this is a procedure that will in the end only be used by developpers

In some of our projects for private chains, we implement top-ups to make the user experience really seamless. This may not make sense for xDai, but I think there is a very big gap in experience with what would be acceptable for lay users

The faucet was drained by the farmers so team was implementing additional security measures to prevent this. Now it is back online with the SMS verification & hCaptcha to discourage abuse. You can see here that it is actively used.

There are also other faucets made by the various communities where users can get free xDai for the gas. I can think of another 4 from the top of my head.

Projects running on xDai are implementing various solutions to make the user experience as seamless as possible. When trading on Perpetual Protocol you don’t even need to switch your network to xDai or have xDai for the gas: Why We Chose xDai Chain to Scale Perpetual Protocol | by Perpetual Protocol | Perpetual Protocol | Medium

Another example can be CardStack.

Hi Mojmir,

You don’t really have to convince me that xDai is an interesting platform. But in the end, my investors will ask me to spend most of my time on platforms that show the most momentum. BSC has been showing a lot of it lately and my 2 cents was that easy access for lay users is an important factor.

To give more context on the obvious biais I have, I should say that we are selling solutions to sidechain operators or to projects running on sidechains to increase, facilitate and secure usage within their ecosystem.

To give a bit of an example, you can find below a link showing the use of our latest web app that lets people create deeds as NFTs. The example provides an illustration where I created a sample NFT on the xDai chain giving the right to have a coaching session during one hour every Monday to anyone owning this NFT at the time of the session. This NFT is freely transferable and would serve as a proof of entitlement to the corresponding service.

Once again, I would love spending more time promoting our solutions for the xDai platform. My take is that things are still too complex to get people on board and have them experience what blockchain could offer them.

https://webapps.primusmoney.com/my-deed/?tx=dd-0xa56400Fe9F6aAE1d6be738090193d96eC1FdD169-0&ccy=a6cb3c5a-ea18-4d8f-b850-d3aeb437cd53

I think you are also forgetting the matic <> xdai bridge which allows very low cost transactions on both sides of the fence. Matic also a a couple of fiat onramps that make things pretty simple. Mainnet to xdai just doesn’t make a lot of economic sense at the moment. If you need xdai to further develop your app I’m sure the community will be there to help out, they’ve done it many many times in the past.

Hello, I’m new to this xDai community. I was trying the xDai faucet from blockscout and I got this problem. I do not know why but I think there is no problem with my phone number. I would gladly appreciate if there is explanation for this problem. Here is the screenshot I take

Please do not post to unrelated threads. On that note…

There are many “carriers” in the TelCom world, some of which do not fully comply with standards. Suggest you try using a phone number from a primary carrier in your Country or region. Also note that many SIP providers cannot provider carrier grade services. Hope this helps!

“The carrier is prohibited”
Phone numbers from that carrier are not allowed for phone verification by Twilio platform.

P.S. don’t post your phone number on screenshots on public forums. It’s not a good OPSEC practice.

1 Like